Monday 18 March 2013

Hammerfight Review

Hammerfight is like conkers with steam punk flying crafts that have metal balls attached to the bottom. You control your machine by rotating the mouse in a circle and use centripetal force to hit the opponent. With a hefty solo campaign and multiplayer, with Xbox controller connectivity, the quirky game has a lot of usual things to offer.


I remember when I first played Hammerfight, I was thoroughly confused. I remember thinking "So I hit the other guy with the ball thingy?" and did rather poorly at it. After a few games to practice my skills (most of which I lost), I got used to the controls and the timing needed to land a good strike. This is definitely one of those games you need to learn to play and actually read the tutorial to do well. That is something I don't normally do, but simply pick up the game on the fly. This is by no means a bad thing and really makes you feel like you go through a journey from being a rubbish nobody to being an expert superstar.


The basic plot of Hammerfight is that you are the last surving member of a tribe called the 'Gaiars', a tribe that has survived by fighting a race of insects. However, after your tribes destruction you meet a family friend who helps you plot the downfall of the Emperor who killed off your people. You do this through gladiator-esque area fights as you claw your way to the top. Overall the plot is enough motivation to get you through the story mode.


As you progress you unlock a variety of new weapons both melee and ranged. This expands the gameplay. With the addition of local multiplayer where you can bash a friend, Hammerfight has a good range of things to offer. Even if those things are a little strange and can leave you going, "What!?". The art and usual game play and use of physics make for a unique gaming experience and this is something I don't get to say very often.


I must admit I really enjoyed Hammerfight despite its tricky controls and sometimes strange collison physics. I especially enjoyed the multiplayer as the story mode is a bit hit and miss. Overall I would recommend this quirky indie area fighter with many twists.

Score - 75/100

General Information 

Game Name - Hammerfight

Developer - KranX Productions
Genre - Action
Release Date - 19 Sep 2009
Bundle - Humble Bundle



No comments:

Post a Comment